Thursday, March 7, 2013

Spring is coming!

Couch To 5K Training - Week 2, Workout 3

2 Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes. Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes. Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 90 seconds of jogging and two minutes of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

Here's the link to my Endomondo Tracker for today's workout.
http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/165094819/506692

This was my first run outside since Week 1, Day 1.  The temperature here has been up and down quite a bit.  Last week we had snow sticking to the ground.  Not much, but some.  This week, we have temperatures in the 20s in the morning, and 60s in the afternoon.  That seems like quite a range to me.  Maybe it's not so unusual.

The bottom line is that I've been running on treadmill a lot lately.  I don't like running on a treadmill.  I especially don't like running on one enough to get used to it.  There are several reasons for this:
  • It's even more boring than running on a track.
  • It kind of forces a different running style than you would use on pavement.  Body positioning is different, etc.
  • Potential injury due to falls.  I guess my running technique is more like a stagger, because it isn't uncommon for me to step off the belt by accident.
  • I don't understand how these machines can be trusted to accurately determine running pace, duration, etc., when they are seemingly unable to calculate a correct calorie burn rate.  Try different machines, and you'll likely get different calories burned totals for the same workout.  If I can't trust it for that, why should I trust it for the other?
The biggest reason for me though is that I feel like I'm running on training wheels.  When I do get back outside after running on the treadmill for a while, it seems harder to me than running the same time on the treadmill was.

Even my outside runs don't change elevation much.  There are some very hilly trails for running around where I live, but I don't generally train on them much.  I will need to start that soon.  For right now, I stick to pretty flat surfaces.  So, that's not the issue.

I think it's primarily speed.  On a treadmill, you typically run at the same pace.  In my case, I try to run at a steady 5.8 pace, and walk at about 3.5.  I don't know why I put "about 3.5" because it's exactly 3.5.  It's a treadmill.  Approximate paces aren't really it's thing.  Assuming you trust them, that is.

When I run outside though, I don't have anything forcing me to run at a certain pace.  So I would imagine my pace is a bit ragged.  Sometimes fast, and sometimes slow.   The wind is a bit of a factor too I suppose.  The nice thing about this plan is that I am not running a set distance.  I'm running a set time.  So it doesn't really matter if I run with the wind (faster), or against it (slower).  I'm running for the same set time.  Running into the wind just provides some air conditioning.

Today, it was nice outside and I was able to run "in the elements".  I was tempted to say "au naturale," but that um... means something different.  I'm not ready to cross that bridge yet, though interestingly enough, there are a number of nude races around the country.  http://www.nuderuns.com/CalendarMain.html

If you have the.... guts... to do this... more power to you!  I'll stick with my shorts and t-shirts, thanks.  It does actually bring an interesting question to my mind though.  When you run in a race for nudists, do you get a t-shirt?  From looking at the calendar, the answer is usually "Yes."  Seems a bit like hypocrisy to me, but whatever.

OK, I'm way off course here.  It really doesn't take much to take me off course, in case you hadn't noticed.

Where was I?

Oh yes!  Today's workout.

Today kind of hurt.  I haven't been stretching properly after my runs and today, my calves let me know about it.  They didn't hurt so much as they just felt like they were so pumped up that they were going to explode.  I'm going to have to work on doing my stretches properly.  Also, I need to work on doing exercises to loosen up my joints before i run.

That's all I've got for today.  No really deep thoughts.  Just doing what I set out to do.  I guess that's good enough. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment